November 12, 2013

Power Pout: The Red Lip

Red Lips
Deep reds are some of my favorites

So lately Natalia and I have been experimenting with different lipsticks and lip lacquers.  One color lipstick that I've always been a little afraid to try is red.

Honestly, I haven't felt confident enough to wear it; red is such a sexy and powerful color that it intimidates me. But (get ready for a little bit of fangirling here) I was reading This is how you lose her by Junot Diaz (one of my biggest literary crushes *swoons*) and there was a particular quote that caught my eye,
 "I’ve always believed that the universe invented the color red solely for Latinas"
And you know what, it's true. Maybe that's one the reasons I avoided the color red. Red is something my mom wears... the other women in my family wear, and I didn't (and sometimes I still don't) feel like a woman, I don't feel like an adult, but I am.

So with much trepidation, I decided to borrow some of my mom's lipsticks and try a couple of my own. The three I love are  1. NYX Matte Lipstick -Alabama brick red , 2. MAC Stroke of Midnight, and 3. Revlon Super Lustrous spicy cinnamon.

Once I started wearing the red around the house and maybe once or twice to the store, I realized how confident it made me feel. I felt like a grown up. Even though I still don't know what I'm doing or where my life is heading... somehow a red lip makes me feel powerful and like I'm put together. Hell, it even makes me feel sexy! Thus, why I call it the power pout.

What are your experiences with red lipstick? let me know :)

Bloglovin | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook

9 comments:

  1. Your blog is lovely!
    The NYX lipstick looks gorgeous, but I don't think
    I would have the confidence to pull it off :)
    Sarah xx
    ballerinasandbuttons.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been experimenting with red lips too for autumn - I was so scared of them at first but now I'm starting to love them! I agree - I kinda like how grown up they make me feel! #powerpout

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What is your favorite red? I love the hashtag #powerpout may steal it from you, lol!

      Delete
  3. I love everything you said in this post! I actually just ordered my first dark lip color and I'm hoping I'll be brave enough to step out of my comfort zone and wear it out!

    carly; sundays grace blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for your first time!! Believe me, once you get that rush of feeling confident and sexy in red, you'll never want to go back.

      Delete
  4. we absolutely love revlon's super lustrous range! we were afraid of bright (especially red) lipsticks before, but we find that using lip butters rather thank lipsticks can be a bit more wearble. We like revlon's lip butter in cherry tart because it gives colour without being too overwhelming. Let us know what you think of it if you do decide to give it go!

    http://mkstyleramblings.blogspot.com.au/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing post my dear, you shouldn't be intimidated by red lipstick, you are a gorgeous woman! ♥ I cannot live without red lipstick, such a great way to make a statement! Tell us how you're liking it! ^^

    Liana x
    Dress Code Chic

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow that NYX matte lipstick looks really lovely xx

    Gemma // missmakeupmagpie.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a big fan of that lipstick!

    Xx http://www.creativenails4fun.blogspot.nl/

    ReplyDelete